Sodium is a vital nutrient and part of a balanced diet for dogs. Unfortunately, many off-the-shelf dog foods contain more sodium than what’s advised by animal health experts.
You likely hear about low-sodium food for humans, but did you realize there are low-sodium food options out there for dogs too?
These are ideal for dogs who have health concerns. If you’re thinking of starting your dog out on a low-sodium diet, here are a few reasons why that’s a great idea.
1. Decrease Intake of Sodium
Sodium isn’t always a bad thing. When eaten in the correct portions, sodium helps the body function. The same is true in dogs. They require a certain amount of sodium to stay healthy.
Unfortunately, a lot of dog food brands tend to increase their portion of sodium in their recipe. This could be due to the kind of meat added to the recipe or the method that they use to preserve the food.
Pet owners who give their dogs high-sodium treats also exacerbate the problem when feeding them a regular diet that’s high in sodium. Of course, you could offset their intake by opting for dog food with a low sodium count.
2. Limits Congestive Heart Failure
When it comes to humans, the biggest concern of a lot of sodium in the body is hypertension. That isn’t the case for dogs. When it comes to dogs, the biggest concern is congestive heart failure.
An increased sodium count in their blood makes the dog build-up fluid. That fluid can lead to congestive heart failure. By eating a diet that’s low in sodium, the fluid will course through the dog’s body normally, and the heart will remain healthy.
Congestive heart failure can be lethal in dogs. It can also be easy to set off if they have a lot of fluid built up in their bodies. They may be running happily after a ball one moment and then be on the ground in pain and stunned the next.
3. Liver and Kidney Problems
Another problem that a high sodium intake can do to a dog is giving them liver and kidney issues. This is similar to congestive heart failure because the reason has to do with the build-up of fluids in the body.
As those fluids build-up, it blocks the necessary chemicals, hormones, messengers, nutrients, and oxygen from getting to the liver and kidneys. As a result, the organs start to become damaged. Too much damage can cause them to shut down.
Dogs who already have liver and kidney problems can seriously impact their health when fed a high sodium diet. Their kidney and liver problems can increase quickly and cause them serious harm.
Whether your dog already has certain conditions or you want to prevent them from happening, a diet in low-sodium is an excellent choice.
4. Lose Weight
If your dog is pushing towards obesity, they might also benefit from a low-sodium dog food because it can help them lose weight. When fed a high-sodium meal, the fluids in their body can make them larger. It is similar to water retention.
A low-sodium diet, however, keeps the fluids moving, which means there isn’t any build-up. Low-sodium dog foods are also most commonly linked with dog food for weight loss. By only feeding your dog that kind of food, you can help your dog lose a few pounds as well.
Preserve Your Dog’s Health
Just like yourself, diet is essential for lasting health. If you want your dog to remain healthy and happy for years to come, then you should try feeding them low-sodium dog food.
Join 1,021+ Passionate Dog Lovers.
Low Sodium Dog Foods
- Supports an older little dog's joints and mobility using omega 3s from fish oil
- Provides your small breed dog with balanced minerals that support heart, kidney and bladder health
- Maintain your senior dog's healthy skin and shiny coat with nourishing omega 6 fatty acids and vitamin E
- Our special antioxidant blend supports your mature dog's immune system
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
- #1 Veterinarian Recommended
- KIDNEY CARE DOG FOOD - This wet dog food is formulated to help renal and cardiac problems such as chronic or acute renal failure, congestive heart failure, and conditions requiring low protein, phosphorus, or sodium diets
- YOUR DOG WILL LIKE IT AND EAT IT ALL - Made with pasture-raised New Zealand lamb and enriched with a mix of natural, therapeutic plants and fruits, which help address your companion’s sensitivity
- HIGH QUALITY HEALTHY DOG FOOD KIDNEY DIET - corn free, wheat free, soy free, by-products free, harmful antibiotics free (oxytetracycline), NON-GMOs, no artificial preservatives, colors or flavors
- RENAL DOG FOOD MADE IN ICELAND - Made from quality and fresh ingredients. Developed by an Italian veterinary. This diet wet dog food is great and your pup will love it
- BACKED BY SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE - The effectiveness of the recipe is backed by over 30 scientific research studies conducted by Forza10 and published in renowned scientific journals. Fast results that increases your dogs ability and prevents stomach issues
- 100% human grade ingredients
- This senior small breed dry dog food's #1 ingredient is turkey; high quality protein with wholesome grains like oats
- Our crunchy kibble has no meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Designed to support the unique health needs of smaller dogs through nutrient-rich whole foods; glucosamine to support joint and bone health for dogs
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients
- Spend a lifetime with Wellness natural dog food; we offer recipes for puppy, adult, and senior dogs as well as grain free dog treats, meal toppers, and wet food options too
- ENJOY A LIFETIME OF WELLBEING: High quality protein and antioxidant rich veggies are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients your dog needs to thrive
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Premium, nutrient rich ingredients support strong immune systems, optimal energy, digestive health and healthy skin and coat; no meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- SAVORY TASTE YOUR DOG WILL LOVE: This all natural pate recipe features rich, savory protein and a meaty texture that add delicious taste to your dog’s bowl
- FIND THE RIGHT FOOD: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- WELLNESS NUTRITION: Created by nutritionists, veterinarians and animal lovers, our recipes provide an ideal balance of nature's finest ingredients, carefully selected to nourish and sustain your pet's wellbeing
- PASSIONATE ABOUT PETS: Proudly made in North America using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, by a family owned company with a passion for crafting the best food for pets
- This dry food is formulated for specific aging needs of your toy or small breed dog
- Easy to digest ingredients help support energy levels, and keep a healthy immune system
- Balanced minerals for heart & kidney health
- Small kibble with high quality protein for lean muscle
- Made with natural ingredients.Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust.No.1 Veterinarian Recommended
- Matthews, Jessica (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 101 Pages - 01/29/2020 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- FORMULATED FOR SENIOR DOGS: Vet recommended dog chews formulated for senior dogs of all breeds 5 years or older.
- HEART & CARDIOVASCULAR SUPPORT: Supports healthy heart muscle and rhythm, blood pressure, circulation and overall heart function.
- NATURAL FORMULA: Made with taurine, acetyl-L-carnitine, dandelion extract, Hawthorne berry extract, bilberry extract, egg albumin, and coenzyme Q10
- DAILY HEART HEALTH SUPPLEMENT: For best results, Gray Muzzle Heart Healthy! Wags Plenty! should be used daily, the amount of chews vary by weight of your pet.
- CAREFULLY CRAFTED IN THE USA: Our recipe is formulated with high quality and natural ingredients that are corn free, soy free, wheat free, and have no artificial colors or preservatives.
Last update on 2021-08-14
"If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two."
-- Phil Pastoret