Sodium is a vital nutrient and part of a balanced diet for dogs. Unfortunately, many off-the-shelf dog foods contain more sodium than what’s advised by animal health experts.
You likely hear about low-sodium food for humans, but did you realize there are low-sodium food options out there for dogs too?
These are ideal for dogs who have health concerns. If you’re thinking of starting your dog out on a low-sodium diet, here are a few reasons why that’s a great idea.
1. Decrease Intake of Sodium
Sodium isn’t always a bad thing. When eaten in the correct portions, sodium helps the body function. The same is true in dogs. They require a certain amount of sodium to stay healthy.
Unfortunately, a lot of dog food brands tend to increase their portion of sodium in their recipe. This could be due to the kind of meat added to the recipe or the method that they use to preserve the food.
Pet owners who give their dogs high-sodium treats also exacerbate the problem when feeding them a regular diet that’s high in sodium. Of course, you could offset their intake by opting for dog food with a low sodium count.
2. Limits Congestive Heart Failure
When it comes to humans, the biggest concern of a lot of sodium in the body is hypertension. That isn’t the case for dogs. When it comes to dogs, the biggest concern is congestive heart failure.
An increased sodium count in their blood makes the dog build-up fluid. That fluid can lead to congestive heart failure. By eating a diet that’s low in sodium, the fluid will course through the dog’s body normally, and the heart will remain healthy.
Congestive heart failure can be lethal in dogs. It can also be easy to set off if they have a lot of fluid built up in their bodies. They may be running happily after a ball one moment and then be on the ground in pain and stunned the next.
3. Liver and Kidney Problems
Another problem that a high sodium intake can do to a dog is giving them liver and kidney issues. This is similar to congestive heart failure because the reason has to do with the build-up of fluids in the body.
As those fluids build-up, it blocks the necessary chemicals, hormones, messengers, nutrients, and oxygen from getting to the liver and kidneys. As a result, the organs start to become damaged. Too much damage can cause them to shut down.
Dogs who already have liver and kidney problems can seriously impact their health when fed a high sodium diet. Their kidney and liver problems can increase quickly and cause them serious harm.
Whether your dog already has certain conditions or you want to prevent them from happening, a diet in low-sodium is an excellent choice.
4. Lose Weight
If your dog is pushing towards obesity, they might also benefit from a low-sodium dog food because it can help them lose weight. When fed a high-sodium meal, the fluids in their body can make them larger. It is similar to water retention.
A low-sodium diet, however, keeps the fluids moving, which means there isn’t any build-up. Low-sodium dog foods are also most commonly linked with dog food for weight loss. By only feeding your dog that kind of food, you can help your dog lose a few pounds as well.
Preserve Your Dog’s Health
Just like yourself, diet is essential for lasting health. If you want your dog to remain healthy and happy for years to come, then you should try feeding them low-sodium dog food.
Join 1,021+ Passionate Dog Lovers.
Low Sodium Dog Foods
- Supports an older little dog's joints and mobility using omega-3s from fish oil
- Provides your small-breed dog with balanced minerals that support heart, kidney and bladder health
- Maintain your senior dog's healthy skin and shiny coat with nourishing omega-6 fatty acids and vitamin E
- Our special antioxidant blend supports your mature dog's immune system
- Made with natural ingredients
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to help meet the energy needs of adult dogs, and features omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: Blue dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; Blue contains No chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
- Hill's Prescription Diet h/d Heart Care Chicken Flavor Dry Dog Food is specially formulated by Hill’s nutritionists and veterinarians to support your dog’s heart health
- Formulated to help protect vital heart function
- Low sodium helps maintain normal blood pressure and minimize fluid retention
- Appropriate protein and phosphorus levels help protect vital kidney function
- Clinically proven antioxidants support a healthy immune system
- Contains one (1) 28 pound bag of Rachael Ray Nutrish Limited Ingredient Lamb Meal & Brown Rice Recipe dry dog food (packaging design may vary)
- Only 6 ingredients with added vitamins, minerals, taurine and other nutrients
- Lamb meal is the number one ingredient
- No fillers, artificial flavors, colors or artificial preservatives
- Safely USA cooked with the world’s finest ingredients
- 100% human grade ingredients
- Hill's Prescription Diet i/d Low Fat Digestive Care Canned Dog Food is specially formulated by Hill’s nutritionists and veterinarians to support your dog’s digestive health
- Clinically proven to calm and soothe the digestive tract
- Highly digestible, low fat formula
- Helps improve digestion and ensure easy nutrient absorption
- Prebiotic fiber helps promote beneficial microflora
- This adult senior dry dog food's ingredient is chicken; high quality protein with wholesome grains like barley
- Our crunchy kibble has no meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Glucosamine and chondroitin for strong joints for your senior dog
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients
- Spend a lifetime with Wellness natural dog food; we offer recipes for puppy, adult, and senior dogs as well as grain free dog treats, meal toppers, and wet food options too
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- Rick Stein (Actor)
- David Pritchard (Director) - David Pritchard (Producer)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2022-01-20
"If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two."
-- Phil Pastoret